Saturday, February 7, 2009

Did you know....

.....that when you go to the grocery store early in the morning (before 9am), you stand a chance at getting a great price on meat. Grocery stores mark down cuts of meat every morning so that they have all the meat out of the store around it's expiration date. I went to kroger yesterday and found pork chops that were originally marked $6.48 with my Kroger card marked down to $3.00. They were good looking chops and when I asked the person that was putting them out he said they had gotten an overload of the porkchops and were having to mark them down so that they made sure they sold them all. Their loss and the customer's gain. We had them last night and they were so good. Here is my families favorite pork chop recipe. It is one that my grandmother taught me with a few revisions that I made.

Ingredients:
4 Pork Chops (your favorite cut)
1 Tablespoon of Vegtable or Olive Oil (which ever you already have)
1 cup of chopped carrots
1 cup of chopped celery
2 cups of sliced or chopped Mushrooms (You can use the canned or fresh)
1 cup of chopped Onion
2 cup of Chicken Broth (I keep homemade chicken broth in the freezer)
2 slices of bacon
Salt & Pepper to taste

How to make:
Heat up a large skillet on medium heat. Salt and pepper your pork chops and put them in the skillet. Cook them till they are almost done. Remove the pork chops from the pan. You will now see the bits at the bottom of the pan, add the bacon in the pan and fry til it is crispy. Remove the bacon when it is done. In the drippings that are left behind, add all of your carrots, onions, and celery. Cook them til they are tender stirring occassionally for around 12 to 15 minutes. You will see how the veggies and the flavor goodness at the bottom start to incorporate. Once veggies are tender add your mushrooms and cook everything about 5 more minutes then add 1 cup of chicken broth to the pan. This will help to start the deglazing process of the pan. Let the liquid reduce some. The chicken broth will start to turn brown because of the flavor goodness that was at the bottom of the pan. Once the liquid reduces down some, add the rest of the chicken broth. Now let this continue cooking uncovered till it renders a smooth gravy like consistency. Once this complete it is ready to eat. We served this over white rice that I cooked in another pan. I seasoned my rice with butter and garlic. You can also serve this over mashed potatos. I put some rice down and then put a laddle of the sauce and veggies over it and then placed my pork chop down over that.

I wished I had pictures but my camera seems to have died. Going to get me a new one in a couple of weeks. I hope that if you try this your family will love it as much as we do. My 8 year old really likes it, so other kids may like it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment