Thursday, December 2, 2010

My SodaStream Review

Drinking soda has been a big part in my families drinking habits. I recently have started to limiting them in the past year so that we can drink healthier and reduce our high-fructose corn syrup intake. I was happy to get the opportunity to review a SodaStream Fountain Jet A200. SodaStream is a company that offers an easy way to make your own soda and sparkling water from home. This concept interest me because it reduces the need to recycle your cans that you accumulate when drinking regular soda and the mixes are healthier than drinking your regular sodas that you buy at the store. The soda mixes that are used have less calories, less sugar, less caffeine, less sodium, and less carbs than sodas you would buy at a store. Click here to see the comparison chart provided by SodaStream.

The SodaStream Fountain Jet is easy to put together and use. I like the fact that it requires no electricity or batteries and it does not take up a lot of space on the countertop. Without going into extensive detail, to use the fountain you just have to connect the carbonator inside the back cover. Once you have it assembled you can get started. To make a soda you need a soda flavor and a bottle of chilled water. Then you will screw the bottle into the carbonator and give it 3 shots of carbonation and then you will be set to add the flavoring of your choice and shake it gently. This takes just minutes to do. I was impressed at how simple it was. The unit itself needs no clean up, which has been a huge plus for me. The bottles are easy to clean, just rinse them out with lukewarm water and some dish detergent. SodaStream warns to not put the bottles in the dishwasher because the bottles would be unsafe to use. I normally rinse them out and leave them in the drip tray until I am ready to fill them up with water.

I use SodaStream daily. Every night before I go to bed I fill my two bottles up with water and put them in the fridge to chill. By morning time the bottles of water are chilled just right and ready to make my sodas. Some of my families favorite flavors are the Orange, Cranberry & Raspberry, and the Lemon & Lime. My daughter says the Orange flavor taste just like the orange sodas that I get her from the store and loves the Root Beer flavor so much that she thinks that I should always have it made for her. My personal favorite is the Cranberry & Raspberry. It is just the right blend of both flavors with a zing at the end. The Lemon & Lime reminds me of Sprite, which use to be a favorite soda of ours. Including the ones I just mentioned, there is a huge assortment of flavors that you can try. The soda mixes range in prices of $4.99 to $6.99 for the regular flavors and $9.99 for the Sparkling Naturals flavors. SodaStream soda mixes will make 12 Liters or the equivalent of 33 cans. I consider this to be budget friendly since I normally use to get 24 cans for $7.68 at the store and with SodaStream I can make the equivalent of 33 cans for less than that. Not only is it budget friendly, it is healthier since it is high-fructose free (regular bottles). They offer a deal where you can get your 10th soda mix free when you purchase nine of them.

You can create your own sparkling water or seltzer water with as much fizz as you want. I love to make sparkling water with a light fizz. I can’t explain it but it is so refreshing for me. This is more affordable than getting sparkling water in the bottle at the store. If you are wanting to flavor your sparkling water you can use the MyWater flavor essence. They are an all natural unsweetened clear flavoring that adds a very light taste to your sparkling water. They come in Mint, Lemon-Lime, Orange, and Berry. My favorite is the Lemon-Lime because it is smooth and keeps it refreshing.

After you have the SodaStream for awhile you will at some point need to swap your carbonator out for a full one.Thy offer different packages to help you do so effortlessly. Since mine is new I have not used this service before but have looked at it and it seems pretty simple. When you go to the carbonators page it has a wizard that guides you to narrow down the carbonator package that is best for you and your SodaStream Fountain Jet.

You can buy a SodaStream fountain from their website or you can find the nearest retailer that sells them. They start retail pricing at $79.95, which is a good value for how many sodas you make using it. The also offer a wizard to help you choose the right fountain for you.

Overall, I like the SodaStream Fountain Jet. I definitely think my family will continue to use it and enjoy sodas and sparkling water daily from it. Not only because they are healthy for us, but they taste good too.





Disclosure: All of the opinions expressed in this post are mine. I was not financially compensated to share them with you. I received a SodaStream Fountain Jet to review from SodaStream.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment