Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

I can’t believe that it is Easter already! As I started cooking for the family dinner today, I started to think about the recipes that my grandmother taught me, as I cook a few of them today. It makes me remember the time that I was lucky enough to spend with her on the morning of every holiday in the kitchen cooking for our family. I have gotten teary-eyed this morning already because I miss her dearly. I always knew that our relationship was so special, but getting ready for the first holiday without her makes me realize it even more. I woke my daughter up this morning (my special kitchen helper) and told her to throw on her apron and she went to work right along side of me. I hope to pass my grandmother’s recipes on to her, in hopes that the tradition will continue into many generations in the future. One recipe that my family is wild for is this Chocolate Pie. It has simple ingredients but is so good that there is never any leftovers and is a recipe she told me that her mom used to make also.




Mamaw’s Chocolate Pie

Ingredients:
1 Cup of Sugar
6 Tablespoons of Flour
6 Tablespoons of Cocoa
1 Small can of Evaporated Milk


Instructions:

1. Heat up half of the can of evaporated milk on medium-high on the stovetop to boiling.

2. While you are waiting for it to boil, mix the other ingredients and the rest of the evaporated milk until it looks like a thick cake batter.

3. Once the milk is boiling, mix in the batter and stir until it gets thick. When it get thick pour into a precooked pie crust.

Meringue

Ingredients:
3 egg whites
¼ teaspoon of cream of tarter
6 tablespoons of sugar
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract

Instructions:

1. Separate 3 egg whites and beat on medium speed with mixer until you get stiff white peaks. This could take awhile (mine took a little under 10 minutes last night), it depends on the humidity in the air.

2. Once you reach the stiff peaks stage start to mixing in the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Next mix in the vanilla extract.

3. Top your pies with the meringue and put them in the oven on 400 degrees until it starts to browning the meringue.

Happy Easter!


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment